Global Monitoring for MV Switchgear
The condition monitoring of medium voltage switchgears
provides round-the-clock information on the health of the monitored equipment, therefore it is essential to increase the reliability of the power grid to guarantee the best services to the community.
The energy demand in high density populated areas is very high and constantly increasing, it is essential and cannot be stopped. Medium Voltage Switchgears represent one of the most vulnerable links in power grid. These type of electrical equipment in operating conditions are subject to overheating due to overload, corrosion, loose connections, and challenging environmental conditions. If neglected, these conditions can lead to switchgear failures, resulting in costly damage to the main asset and surrounding equipment, power production loss, and in extreme cases, severe injury or death.
Implementing continuous monitoring gives electric utilities the ability to collect data generated during the switchgear’s normal operating conditions, thereby providing awareness to problems in real time.
The causes of switchgear failure can be classified in:
- Thermal breakdown: caused by loose connections, improper racking, or a high current load
- Loss of insulation: caused by age, environmental conditions, or defects in the insulating material
- Air dielectric breakdown: caused by excess humidity and moisture, which can lead to the onset of corona and discharges between the high voltage terminal and ground.
ALTANOVA offers a wide range of Solutions for the Condition Monitoring of Medium Voltage Switchgears, according to the type of criticality, age and size of the asset:
ALTANOVA Condition Monitoring Solutions for Medium Voltage Switchgears allow:
- Early diagnosis of faults due to insulation defects
- Optimization of energy productivity and reliability
- Extension of the asset life cycle
- Optimization of maintenance plans
- No disconnection, inactivity or interruption of energy